Re: Level Of Service

Nick wrote:

>From a technical point of view, Medianet are running BIND 4.9.5-P1 on what
>looks like out-of-the-box Slackware 3.2.  This version of BIND suffers from
>notorious cache pollution problems (fixed in later versions), which means

[blah blah blah]

Let me clear a couple of things up.

First of all, BIND 4.9.5-P1 does NOT suffer from these cache pollution
problems; only releases prior to this do. Release 4.9.5-P1 _will_ pass
already polluted packets to clients using it as a resolver, but this has
absolutely no relevance to zones for which it is authoritative; hence this
is not a security issue for a .ie secondary running 4.9.5-P1.

As for Slackware 3.2, I don't know what he's talking about. That is not
what's running on that machine.

In any case, all of this is irrelevant, since ice.clubi.ie is running
4.9.6, not 4.9.5-P1.

Nick would surely have been aware of all this if had used a more official
source of information than the "toolz" provided by "the Apostols" [sic]
hacker groups.

Nick, I suggest that in future you don't make libelous allegations about
security flaws in rival companies without checking with IOL's legal
council, especially when they're completely false.

Alex.

Alex